Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trick or Treat!

Halloween 2012 is over, and I am left with moody children in sugar-induced mood swings for the rest of the week :) The kids had a great time this year despite some pretty frigid weather.

Ella really wanted to be Strawberry Shortcake this year, but: 1) the costumes for sale in stores only went up to toddler sizes, 2) I could have found one in her size online, but 3) who wants to spend $30+ on a crappy polyester costume that will only last a week anyways??? So, this year I embarked on making a costume for the first time. And I probably spent more than $30 doing it, but at least it was pretty, and will not fall apart next week.

I have limited sewing skills, and don't own a sewing machine, so as little needlework as possible was key :) We started with a tutu. I have been wanting to make her a no-sew tutu like I've seen tutorials for online for years and finally got around to it :) Originally I tried to go truly no-sew, and I used a non-slip elastic headband for the waistband of the tutu, but I found that the waistband rolled too much, so I swapped it out for non-roll elastic. And I sewed the waistband together using a needle and dental floss. Yes, dental floss. I couldn't find my thread, and waxed dental floss is like, super strong easily accessible thread! Worked like a charm. Then I used red and pink tulle and a green ribbon to finish the job.



Next up was the shirt. I used an old white t-shirt that Ella had, and bought some red and green felt to make the strawberry symbol. This was the most time consuming part, since I had to appliqué these by hand stitching on to the shirt. I think I spent about 4 hours on this.




Thankfully you can buy Strawberry Shortcake tights separately at the costume store, so I was spared having to paint white tights with stripes ;) (Phew). All that was left was a headband to continue the strawberry theme. I covered an old headband with tulle, and used leftover felt to create the embellishment.




Here is my beautiful Strawberry girl!






Ella got to wear her costume to school on Halloween. They had a little class party, and Ella brought these Oreo Pops to share with her classmates.




Eli was a little easier to handle :) I took him to Party City and let him pick out a costume.....BLACK BATMAN! (Not to be confused with Blue Batman. In other words, Eli likes modern as opposed to oldschool.)




He wore his costume a ton before Halloween actually arrived. He also got to wear his to school on Halloween, and even went trick or treating to all the offices at his school in the afternoon. He came home with a little treat bag and was pretty happy.



After supper, we set up our pumpkins in the front window that we had carved Monday night.









Then we got costumes on for the obligatory photo op.....you know, before we stuffed them inside snowsuits.



Emerson was a little spider :) and super cute. As always.




Then we bundled the kids up and I took them out for their first run while Dad stayed home to man the front door with our bowl of goodies.




After about 7-8 houses, the kids were frozen and ready to go home and warm up. So we turned around and I took Emerson over to the neighbour's for his first Trick or Treat experience. One house was enough for him, since the wind was blowing cold and hard.




We ran back home and let Daddy take his turn taking the kids out. Eli lasted another 10 minutes, and Ella another 20 minutes. Then they were all done! There was a lot of treat eating and not a lot of sleeping once bedtime came! Except for Emerson, who had missed his afternoon nap and was exhausted by 7 pm.



Happy Halloween!!! And welcome to November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy After Halloween ;)
Their costumes are adorable. You did great on the Strawerry Shortcake one. I dont think Im near that talented

Butchike Bunch said...

I LOOOOVVVVEEEE the strawberry shortcake outfit. Way cuter than any store bought version... I am impressed! Also sorry to hear you are still dealing with sick kiddos with fevers!!