Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bedtime Snack

My go-to snack over the last few months has been homemade cinnamon sugar pita chips. Since tonight was a night that I was in the mood for them, I snapped a pic and decided to post my recipe : )


Ingredients:

pocket pitas

cinnamon

white sugar

canola oil


Yep, that's it. I've used olive oil before too when I was out of canola, but a more neutral tasting oil is better for a dessert pita chip.


If I'm making the snack just for myself, I like to use 3 pocket pitas. I made some for a girls night once and used 6 I think. It seems like a lot just to make some chips, but if you think about it, a pack of 6 pitas is only 3 dollars, and you'll pay that for a bag of potato chips.


Step 1:

Separate pita pockets in to 2 flat rounds. (Helps to warm them up for 15 seconds in the microwave first)


Step 2:

Use pastry/basting brush to brush light layer of oil on to one side of the pita round (I use the inside/rough side)


Step 3:

Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Use 3 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon. I usually mix up 1 Tbsp of cinnamon and 3 Tbsp of sugar at a time. You won't use it all at once, but who doesn't like cinnamon toast in the morning??? I've been using a little extra salt shaker I have to sprinkle my cinnamon mixture on the pitas, but using a spoon works fine too.


Step 4:

Cut them up! I've tried pizza cutters and knives, but finally settled on scissors as the best method for cutting these up. Just use your kitchen scissors to cut up the pitas into whatever shape you want! (some people do large triangles like a pizza, I do small squares)


Step 5: Bake for 5-6 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet in a 350-375 degree oven. It's not necessary to have them perfectly spread out without touching (overlapping is OK!) but try to spread them out across the whole large baking sheet so they all get crispy. Keep your eye on them! One minute too long, and those chips will go from perfect to burnt!


Step 6: Remove from oven and transfer with a spatula to your favourite chip bowl. They're nice both warm and cool! Then repeat all steps at least 2 times a week : )

Enjoy!


Photobucket


No comments: