Monday, June 27, 2011

A Weekend Road Trip

We had an adventure over Father's Day weekend when we took a family road trip to Winnipeg to visit family and for Chris to participate in a half marathon.

To start the trip out, we were robbed. Having plans to leave in the wee hours of the morning on Friday, I started to pack our things in Travis on Thursday night. Unfortunately, when I was done packing for the evening around 10:30 pm, I forgot to lock the vehicle back up. When Friday morning rolled around, and we were all ready to go, we loaded the kids in to the car. That's when I noticed that nearly everything I had packed in there the evening before was GONE. I had a meltdown.
Stolen items include:
2 backpacks full of the kids favourite toys and books
A bag full of at least 8 of the kids favourite movies on DVD
A garment bag containing nearly every cardigan I own, and a set of church clothes for Chris
Our brand new dual screen portable DVD player system that I had bought and installed 3 days earlier

Thankfully the kids suitcases were not taken, or else we would have lost nearly their entire wardrobes. So, that put a huge damper on the beginning of our trip. I went back in to the house and tried to pick out some more toys to occupy the kids on our 6 -7 hour drive, but all the best toys and books were gone!

We soon got on our way though, and managed to keep the kids pretty happy during our trip. We stopped for lunch at Chris's grandparents place in Manitoba and visited there for a while. Then we packed back up and finished our drive to Winnipeg.

We had a great weekend! Here are some things that we did:

Winnipeg has a fantastic new "Nature Playground" at Assiniboine Park. Both the kids absolutely loved it!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We visited Tinkertown - a mini exhibition type place that was running when I was a kid! Eli was too young to really enjoy it, but Ella tried out a few rides with her Dad (bumper cars, spinning apples, merry go round) and had a great time! It was a hot sunny day though, so we didn't last too long. Eli was grumpy, and only happy when he was riding the little boat ride!

Photobucket
Photobucket

We had a great time visiting with my family there! Ella decorated her Grandad's steps, walkway, and the entire sidewalk in front of his house with the great sidewalk chalk he bought.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

She even tried to play some hopscotch!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Monday, after lots of visiting, barbequeing, shopping, and playing, we headed back home. Before we left we replaced our portable DVD players and a few movies, hoping to make the ride home a little more fun! Our drive home was still filled with surprises though - since the #1 highway was closed due to flooding, we had to take a major detour and added over an hour to our return trip!

We had a great trip and visit! We'll be making more frequent trips to Winnipeg now that we are season ticket holders to the brand new Winnipeg Jets NHL team!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry that somebody broke into your car and stole things. That always makes me sick to my stomach when people do that.

Love the nature park thingie. Looks like a blast and a lot of cool stuff.

Nena said...

That park looks seriously awesome!!! I wish we had something like that here.
Glad you had fun despite the horrible start to your trip!

Butchike Bunch said...

That is awful about the robbery... didnt that happen to the Goetz one time at Christmas on thier holidays... yuck!! When did Ella grow up so big...she looks like such a cutie girl!! I see lots of your sisters in her too!