Friday, November 26, 2010

My Poor Little Disaster

Eli just can't seem to catch a break. Such is life as a boy, I suppose, but I'd dearly love for him to not sustain a new injury every second day.

Poor dude took a visit to the ER with me on Wednesday night. He'd already spent the morning getting caught up on his immunizations, so he was already angry at the health care system ; )
Shortly after supper, he was playing away in the corner of the living room, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw him jump up in to the air, and come down hard on the corner of out TV stand. I quickly picked him up, ran to the kitchen and grabbed his soother and a wipe (you see how quickly I react to injury situations these days?) The soother in his mouth, I searched his poor little face for what had happened - his soother vibrating around in his sad little mouth as he wailed loudly. Then I saw it - in the corner of his upper eyelid, the blood started to pour out.

Poor dude.

Photobucket
Photobucket

After about 10 minutes of snuggling on the couch with a blankie in his mommy's arms, and occasional dabbing of his wound (which was all he would permit), I assessed the situation. It did not look good. It was fairly deep, and seemed too wide for it to close and heal nicely on it's own. To the hospital we went. (How handy that it's across the street!)

He really was a very good boy. He sat patiently as we waited to be seen playing with a toy phone. He put on a cute little hospital gown on top of his clothes (yellow stripes, boy oh boy was he ever cute!) and permitted the nurses and doctors to look at his poor little face. They decided to glue the wound together - our nice doctor said it could have used a stitch of two, but didn't want to traumatize my poor boy more than necessary. This was the worst part - holding him down and squirting glue on to his eyelid (!) but after a little cry and freak out, he was good enough to sit still while it dried, and accepted a token of apology from the Dr. (oh yes, a latex glove balloon!)

He's been a little irritable these past 2 days, but his wound is looking better already, I can see the 2 edges coming together to heal. Until our next hospital visit, I suppose.....

P.S. Also noticed his freshly shaved head once again? Poor guy has just been inflicted upon too much lately!

No comments: