Yeah. He's been through the mill.
He's always been a rough and tumble kid. Being mobile by foot at 8 months meant that his curiosity could be satisfied a lot earlier than other babies. He climbed chairs. Then tables. Then walls (Just kidding, it was ME up the wall.)
This latest round of injuries began on Sunday night. Eli, while playing with his 3 year old sister and 2 year old cousin, had his finger slammed in a closet door. It swelled, turned red/purple, and the ice that was meant for his poor little finger ended up being part of the evening snack along with the bowl of popcorn. Toddlers and ice....what can I say: it's a hit!
Next came the Monday morning injury - Eli, post Costco diaper run, decided to stand up in the shopping cart seat while I was putting Ella in the car (OK...my fault, he wasn't buckled in). Coupled with the fear of him falling out was the fear of the cart rolling away down the parking lot at the same time, so I lunged for him - during which action, he fell forwards and downwards simultaneously, slicing open the bridge of his nose on the shopping cart handle. A trip to the pet store cheered the poor little boy up! Who needs a zoo?
The next day, Eli doubled his injury tally. Early in the morning while playing with Ella in her room, he became the victim of a flying-Thomas-the-tank-Engine toy....thrown at his face by Ella. This was a bad one...he sobbed for a good 3 minutes and spent the next half hour snuggling on my lap with a blankie. At first, I didn't even see where it had hit him, but then I saw the evidence of a black eye appearing, along with a little cut on his lower eyelid. Will this never end?
Sporting his new puffy eye
In the afternoon, I had my Econ class to attend. When I returned home, I was greeted by a battered little boy who had tripped and smacked his forehead on the ground! This one takes the cake. I was told it bruised immediately, and then the swelling started....I've never seen a goose-egg quite this big! Of course, no matter how much you insist, a bag of frozen corn is not very fun on a toddler's forehead, so Eli toughed it out like a man. He also skinned the bottom of his nose.
What am I to do with this boy? Make him wear a hockey helmet at all times?
Boys will be boys, I suppose.
Eli's injuries Wednesday morning - already on the mend!




1 comment:
Oh that poor little man! I can't help but want to hug him and laugh at the same time. I doubt that would be very comforting.
Jude's little friend Avery is about as clumsy! She is always coming over to play with a new bruise or cut, and the days she doesn't - she insists upon inflicting injury on herself at my house! I always feel terrible.
Either way, I hope that sweet Eli is feeling better soon! What a week!
Post a Comment