The move went smoothly. We spent about 5 days in a hotel waiting for our stuff to arrive in the moving truck, but the kids all did great. We have now been in our house for a full week and we are almost "settled in" completely. Ella and Eli love our new place! They are enjoying the huge yard and all the open space in the living room.
We are currently just renting this place. The basement suite is under renovations, and another tenant will be joining us as soon as that is done. Overall we're really happy with the house, the location, and the neighbourhood. There are parks and schools nearby, a huge mall just 1 km away, and our church is literally across the street. Chris takes the bus and train to work downtown, and is working on finding the best and fastest route to bring him home!
I'll share some pictures of the inside of our home as soon as we're done unpacking. For now I'll give a nice big update on the kiddies and what they have been up to lately!
I can't believe how grown up Ella is. Just today when I went to check on them playing in the back yard, she said, "It's quite a blustery day out!" :) She is a smart little thing and very dramatic and expressive. She was a bit sad to leave Regina - we had to take her out of preschool early, and say goodbye to friends and cousins. But she is loving Edmonton and will often say as we are driving through the city, "Isn't it a beautiful day in this wonderful city?"
She was excited to go to our new ward at church these past 2 Sundays. She has plenty of little boys in her Primary class, just like in Regina, but thankfully there is 1 little girl in her class as well! We also met some great playmates at a Mom's and Tots playgroup at the church that they hold on Monday mornings. She will start Kindergarten in the fall, so getting her registered for school is at the top of my list as soon as we are all settled in.
Eli is his usual crazy self in this new place. I don't really think he knew what was happening for sure until all of our things began arriving in the new house. I think before that he just thought we were on vacation ;) what with all the hotels and car rides! He has adjusted really well. The new church has been a bit of a shock for him (he spent most of our first Sunday there sitting on my lap, which he never does), but he loves the nursery there, since they hold it in a part of the gym, and there is plenty of space to run around, and basketballs to play with.
Right before we left Regina, he saw an ENT about his hearing loss. The Dr. said he definitely would recommend hearing aides, so that is top on my list for him after we are settled. I will have to get him a referral to a Dr. here and go through all the steps needed to get him fit for aides. His speech is drastically better than it was 6 months ago already, but maybe the hearing aides will be the missing piece in the puzzle to his communication.
Emerson is growing up so fast! He is now already 5.5 months and he's hit some great milestones! He is getting really good at sitting up - not so good that I will leave him alone, since he still topples over after about a minute, but he is getting so strong. Also, he has started solid foods. I tried to give him rice cereal during our last week in Regina, but he turned up his nose at it. He is breastfeeding so often still that I really wanted to start the solids to fill his belly up a bit, but the cereal was a no-go. Once we got here, I started him on veggies - he has had carrots and sweet potatoes. Sometimes I mix them with the rice cereal as well, and he'll eat it like that. He also likes to gnaw on raw celery sticks and apple slices.
I have also FINALLY started getting more sleep! Up until a week ago, he was still eating at least 5 times a night, which was starting to be a little much for me. Then, it was like a switch was flipped, and he is only eating 1-2 times a night now! I would attribute it to the solids, but he actually started sleeping longer 2 days before I started him on veggies. Maybe I should attribute it to the Fantasyland Hotel, since that's where we were staying when he started sleeping longer! Now he is eating and going to bed for the night sometime between 7:30 and 9:30 pm. He spends the first part of the night in his crib in his own room (!) and wakes up to eat around 2:30 am. Then he spends the rest of the night in bed with us, and eats again around 6:00 or 7:00 am when he gets up. Now if only I could manage to get to bed myself by 10 pm, I could get 4 uninterrupted hours of sleep!
We enjoyed a quick visit from Chris's parents this week as well. The kids were so excited to see their grandparents, especially Ella, since she realizes better than Eli how far away we actually live now. We spent a nice afternoon showing them our new place, enlisting grandpa's help to set up the swingsets, and visiting. Then the next day we spent the afternoon at Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall and then drove Grandma and Grandpa back to the airport. Thanks for such a great time! The kids had a blast at Galaxyland and we'll definitely be going again soon!
Well, that's about it for now.....time to get back to the grind of organizing our life, and making this house our new home! Stay tuned for more!









2 comments:
Oh my! They are growing up way too fast. Hope you guys are settling into your new house. It looks like a great place to live
Glad to hear everything went smoothly and that you are enjoying your new place.
Post a Comment