In the past, Ella was perfectly content to spend all of Eli's nap time having "quiet time" in my bedroom. I would spend time on the computer, do homework, or close my eyes for a while, and she would sit in our bed watching movies on our little DVD player - relaxed and quiet for up to 3 hours. Well...she's growing up. This quiet time is no longer 'cool' or even 'fun'. These days while Eli is napping, Ella has elaborate playdates in her bedroom or the living room with her dolls and imaginary friends. They go camping, have birthday parties, tea parties, eat in restaurants, and visit the doctor when they get sick. Lately I've discovered that Ella has another mother. I hear her playing with her several times a week....
"Mom! Come on, we have to go visit the doctor. You're sick."
(I call down to her) "Yes?"
"No, not you, Mom. My other Mom."
(Oh dear. Is this a sign that she is neglected and needs another mother, or just a sign of her wonderful imagination?)
That girl is so busy these days! Her mind is on the go every waking moment. Even as she is falling asleep, she lies in bed and whispers to herself.
"No, the baby is sleeping. You have to be quiet."
"Me and my friends are going down the slide. You need to be careful."
"It's just winter time now. There's snow outside. It's cold."
***********
Eli, on the other hand, was always overly busy. He still is quite active and on the go, but he's really mellowed out in some aspects too. Yesterday after supper, Ella was deep in her own little world of play. Eli ventured upstairs (first grabbing me by the hand to drag me along), grabbed the DVD player, got a disc, and turned it on (yes, he can do all this by himself). He then lay in my bed for a full half hour and watched an entire Wiggles DVD. This from the boy who never used to sit still for longer than 20 seconds. He even snuggled himself down under the covers and got comfy with his hands behind his head. I swear, I didn't pose him!
How cute is that kid? I lay down beside him for a bit while he was watching. Every few minutes he'd glance over at me to make sure I was awake : ) If my eyes were closed, he'd grunt and whack me in the nose. Now that's what I call love.
Sigh. These kids. They just change and amaze me every day.


1 comment:
It is so great that you are writting all of these things down. How wonderful that we will preserve these memories. And actually we will see you at Christmas because we will be coming from the 21st so we will have to get together early on.
Post a Comment