Friday, December 11, 2009

Pancakes and Yogurt

Tonight was a success when it came to suppertime! We are in a bit of a funk with Ella lately, regarding her eating habits. She rarely eats what I make for dinner unless it happens to be peanut butter sandwiches. She'd eat a "pee-bunner sammich" for all 3 meals if I let her....and let's face it, some days that ACTUALLY HAPPENS. It's begun to be a habit for her to refuse supper, so that she even does it when I serve Kraft Dinner (which, when she does eat it, she can nearly finish the whole darn package).
Tonight Chris is at work, and won't be home until 2 or 3 am - so I grabbed the pancake mix from the cupboard and whipped up a batch for the kids and I. How glorious to make a meal that EVERYONE in the house will eat! I'm past caring whether or not there are vegetables in the meal, it was just such a relief that she ate the supper that I prepared!
In our house we eat our pancakes smothered in yogurt : ) As a child I always liked pancakes, but they paled in comparison to waffles. Who would ask for plain old pancakes when waffles were available? I don't care about the fact that they're made from the same batter, a waffle holds so much more excitement. (Just like Chinese food really does taste better when it comes in one of those fancy folding boxes as opposed to those ugly styrofoam or aluminum containers....you know it does!) Plus, waffles are served with fruit and whipped cream, and pancakes are stuck with maple syrup. *YAWN*
I don't know when it happened, maybe it was there all along, but yogurt began to appear on the table at my house when we were eating pancakes. Ah, blessed yogurt, the ULTIMATE topping for pancakes! I don't even have syrup in my cupboard anymore, since I've converted Chris to yogurt covered pancakes recently as well! ("What, you made pancakes and we have no syrup?" "Try the yogurt." "Wow. This is really good.")

So, this evening, Eli, Ella and I all sat down together and had pancakes and strawberry yogurt (OK, so I fed Eli his yogurt with a spoon. I didn't feel like adventuring through a bath tonight since he just had one this morning) and we ate the whole batch : ) Ella had 3 1/2, Eli had 1 1/2 and I had 4....oh yes. Never mind the veggies. We like us some carbs in this house. And I'm counting the yogurt for both a dairy and fruit serving ; )

And the guilty mommy inside me gave Eli some cooked carrots, peas and corn as well. He's the only one would would have eaten them anyways!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I have read that the "experts" say that you should look at what your children are eating on a weekly basis. Me, being a "mompert" says if I can get the kid to eat something that is healthy I will take it!