Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Cooking Endeavor

I don't cook much. I like instant things like Sidekick rice and noodles, cans of Campbell's soup....
I do try my hand about once a week at a real meal - pasta with sauce and veggies, chicken and potato stew, chicken stirfry with rice...nothing too out of the ordinary. I LOVE Kraft's What's Cooking Magazine, because the recipes are simple, have very few and common ingredients, and don't take long to make. I hate looking up a recipe online and seeing 10 spices I don't own and some weird kind of cheese that I've never bought. I'm not that adventurous! (Or rich, let's face it.)

Anyways, I was watching Treehouse TV (OK, let's face it again, I watch it every day, all day long) and "Emily Yeung" was on. Basically this girl gets to travel all over, meet interesting people and learn about interesting places and things, and have her own television show about it. Yeah. If only every slightly crazy, melodramatic 7 year old could live such a life.

(Wow, I'm having a really hard time staying on topic here....)

It was a holiday episode and Emily went caroling with a bunch of people. At each house they stopped at, the people who lived there invited Emily in to help them make or prepare something for the holiday they celebrated - Christmas, Hannukah, (some other holiday that I feel really bad I can't remember the name to....) At the house where they were celebrating Hannukah, she helped make latkes....and I started to drool. Nothing fancy, just a lovely, golden potato pancake.

So, here I am making latkes tonight. They are looking pretty delicious! I can't wait to dig in!

Ella's plate of latkes:
Photobucket

2 comments:

Butchike Bunch said...

Yumm I miss my Grandpas potatoe pancakes smothered in apple sauce.. delicious! Well done!

Heidi Allred said...

WOW! I remember you FB status about thses and wondered what the heck they were. yum.